Mark's updates

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thanksgiving in Boston

We spent Thanksgiving in Boston with Jason, Kimberly, Ethan, Grandma, and Grandpa. We drove halfway on Tuesday night and the other half Wednesday morning.

On Thanksgiving, Jason and I went to play a game of touch football in Salem. However, 15 minutes after everyone was supposed to be there, we only had three people. The third person knew of another football game that was going to start in 45 minutes at another park. The other game was going to be TACKLE. I gave up tackle football about three years ago when we had two Elders in our ward that both weighed over 200 pounds. I tried playing tackle with these guys and was sore for several days and decided that I was too old to be playing tackle football anymore. But, I really wanted to play football and Jason was game so we drove over to the other park. Some of the guys in Jason’s ward were making up the teams and I believe the primary factor they were using was weight. Anyone less than 185 pounds were on our team, and everyone over 185 pounds was on their team. There were one or two exceptions, but for the most part each of our players were outweighed by 20 pounds or more. It was a very close game and a lot of fun. Needless to say, but I will anyway, we took some hits and dished a few out. Jason had a jammed finger that swelled up large and both of us were in pain for a couple of days.

Thanksgiving Dinner was great. We had a Brine Turkey, Mashed potatoes, Sweet potatoes, and Green bean casserole. Kimberly, Jason, Grandma, and LaDonna did a great job on preparing everything and it tasted great. We also had Pumpkin, Banana Cream, and Blueberry pies.

I love Thanksgiving because I usually get to play football, eat, watch football, and browse ads for black Friday. This year a few stores opened early and I found a lot of things that I “needed” were on sale. So, Jason and I got in the car and went to CompUSA which one of their locations opened at 9:00 pm. When we got there, the line was 400 people long and it was pouring down rain. We opted out and decided to go to another location that opened at 12:00 a.m. When we got to the other location, there were about 28 people in front of us and we had a two and a half hour wait before the store opened. We talked to people in the line with us and generally, the time moved quickly. There was a lot of drama trying to get into the store, but I’ll save that for a story sometime. We both wanted to get the GPS navigation unit that was on sale and we both got it easily. We also picked up memory cards and flash drives. It’s a real adrenaline rush for me to try and get all the deals when you walk into the store with a lot of other people that are going for various deals and it’s very chaotic. It’s also a game to see when you should go to the store and begin standing in line. I figure I don’t really have anything else to do at those hours so I might as well get a bargain on some electronics that I “need”. After we got the stuff, we went home and I was planning to go back out at 5 a.m. on Friday, but I set my alarm for the wrong time and realized it too late, so I stayed in bed.

Just a heads up – Jason and I did practice Project Gotham Racing 2 while I visited and are preparing for the Christmas competition.

1 Comments:

  • We loved having you, by the way! Thanks for making our last Boston Thanksgiving so memorable and for making sure I got a new GPS. Love it!

    Not that my husband isn't a total athletic stud, but he was in a pain for more than a few days, I would say, and his finger is still sore (Ethan accidentally kicked it tonight and Jason's face was very pained). This was all balanced with the fact that he was ecstatic to be in the "under 185" weight group.

    You two should apply for "Amazing Race" together. You're both competitive and you don't let little things like immense physical discomfort or fatigue stop you from getting what you want.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home